Thursday, August 23, 2007

Am I Missing Something?

I know some of you have heard this before, but I feel the need to reiterate it: I LOVE and enjoy being single. I tell you, when I tell people on my job that I'm single, they're genuinely surprised and look at me weird. And then when I tell them that I'm not really dating, they really get surprised. (They will seriously gag if I told them what sex I've dated lol.) Anyway, one of them told me that it was time for me to settle down and find someone. Then an old high school classmate that I had just gotten in contact with again was asking me (through e-mail) why I was single. I gave them both my customary answer: "Love will find me in due time." Do I believe that? Sometimes I do, most times I don't. In that area of my life, I just let the chips fall where they may. Hell, sometimes I try to stop the damn chips from falling altogether lol. But that's the nonchalant side coming out of me. I try to understand their way of thinking, but I'm having a hard time. Maybe they're just taken aback that a good-looking (no I'm not conceited), semi-successful dude with a good head on his shoulders is still walking around unattached. Who knows, but I know I ain't worried about it. So why are they?

But honestly, is there something wrong with me wanting to stay single? Is it weird for a 29-year-old man to say that he rarely dates and is not looking for a relationship? I know that everybody needs somebody, but does that automatically mean a significant other? Why can't it mean family or good friends? They will be there much longer than a man will! I can be happy without a boo dammit. And besides, I just don't think I have the patience to deal with the bullshit that most dudes dish out (as I experienced firsthand this week lol). It's hard being people's friend these days, let alone being their date/boyfriend. I would like to know what yall think. Help a brotha out. Am I missing something?

11 comments:

Tyson said...

The funny thing is, you don't look like the single type. You look like you are the helpless romantic type that is always in a relationship. I guess you can never judge a book by its cover. I am sure love will reveal itslef to you you when it is time. I know how it feels to be "happily" single too. I was there a lil while ago. I don't know if I am there now. I enjoy this guy I just met and I think I want to settle down a bit :-) Anyway, stay sweet.

Jay said...

Is it weird or odd for a 29 yr old 2 b actively avoiding dating, yes...but hell is it weird or odd for someone to want an 11 in thick dick up their ass? I say that to say, we are all different and want different things out of life so we have 2 just live our lives, enjoy what makes us happy and not care about others opinion of happiness

ShawnQt said...

IF YOUR HAPPY,
I'M HAPPY!

Cool? Cool!

We had this conversation before, I understand your point, so date around, do your thing, connect with people, until u ready to get serious.

Life is not about finding a relationship, it is about having any kind of relationship to enhance the greatness in you.

bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

Ok, I'm officially depressed now. THANKS!

Tyson, slow ya ass down!

Jay, he only wants an 8 inch dick up his ass. 11 is too much.

Shawn... *Sigh* Just tell the boy to go out and have sex and shut up! LoL.

~Damnit!

Jersey Brotha said...

LOL leave it Mr. bLaQ~n~MiLD to spew his words of wisdom.

ponoono said...

If you are not happy to be alone.. you will never be happy with someone. Another player in the mix won't overcome what is ailing you.

@jay: are u talkin about fuzzy? lol !

WhozHe said...

It was during the time that I was happily single I met my current partner of 10 years. Let it be what it is (does that make sense). Happiness will find you.

Promiscuous X said...

hmmmmm " Am I Missing Something?" I like how ya black ass didn't show up for dinner. Tired my ass I gave u enough time to come home, change & to wash ya stinkn ass.lol

On a serious note its nothing wrong with a single, black, semi successful, brotha to wanna b single????? or is there? I say keep meetn these assholes ur bound to find the right 1. lol

lol @ black-n-mild. He's "reading again."

Ya Boy X

two turntables said...

I like this blog, I think I am at a similar place , I am 28 and very single and I am cool with it although I have my moments. The problem comes when people are suprised you are single because in thier mind they are also kind of asking "hmmm whats wrong with you that you can't get anybody or be with one person , I mean you look good and seem like what some one would want, you must be really fucked up in the head or something." I hate to tell people about being single and being ok with it or even worse telling them how long I have been single, I always feel the judgement in the air.

Motionphics said...

SUP MAN? WELCOME TO THE DREAM TEAM.
HOPE TO GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER THRU YOUR THOUGHTS.

DAPPER D

Dayne Avery said...

I agree 100%. I can't stand it when people automatically assume you shouldn't be single just because they cant be single. Some people have to always be with somebody--I don't. I can be single and happy. So to answer your question. No there is nothing wrong with someone your age choosing to be single. What is wrong are all these people in dysfunctional ass relationships just becasue they can't be alone for 2 seconds...